Basic Bicycle Maintenance
Our basic maintenance training gives an overview of the modern bicycle in terms
of how it works and fits together. This course will cover the most common
issues you may encounter whilst out on a ride and how to deal with them. We
will also show you how to clean and maintain various components to keep them
in good working order for as long as possible. This course is suitable for cyclists
who consider themselves to be absolute beginners in terms of bicycle
maintenance and no prior knowledge is necessary. At the end of this course you
should feel much more confident about getting home following a mechanical
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify and name all the major components of your bicycle and understand their function
- Identify worn and faulty components
- Repair a puncture confidently
- Repair a broken chain or size and fit a new one
- Replace and adjust brake blocks / pads
- Understand how derailleur gears work and carry out basic adjustments
- Optimise the life of components through effective cleaning and lubrication
- Understand the importance of using the correct tools
This course is designed for attendees to bring their own bicycle along to work on, enabling them to carry out any minor repairs whilst also allowing them to familiarise themselves with the specific components used on their bike.
Workstands and basic tools will be provided as well as an opportunity for attendees to purchase their own discounted tools following the course should they wish
The course will run from 10am - 4pm.
No previous experience of bicycle repair is necessary.
Please note - Attendees should ensure that their bike is clean and free of any mud or oil before bringing it to the course.
Sun, 29 September 2019 10:00 – 16:00 BST